dog birthday pizza cake

As mentioned in the previous post, we had a huge success with the personal pizza cake I made for Misty's 14th birthday. Having done the more traditional cakes and pupcakes in the past and then a meatloaf cake last year, it was clear what the dogs preferred (duh!), so I knew this year's cake would have to be another savory meat dish. After thinking for awhile, I settled on one of Misty's (and Jasper's) favorite food--pizza! She knows the word pizza and she knows to wait patiently for the crust whenever it's a pizza night in our house. I often thought about if and how we can have a dog friendly version of a pie so that they can have more than just the crust, and even that we were always very careful not to give too much of.

I did a lot of search online and did not find a dog pizza recipe that I really liked, so I took several different ones and made my own version by tweaking them. I wanted to use all natural ingredients that's safe for my dogs and I wanted it to look like a real pizza!

So, for the dough, I used a combination of brown rice flour and oat flour. I originally wanted to use coconut flour, but our local co-op was out of stock on that day. I think it turned out just fine at the end. A lot of recipes called for egg in the dough, but I skipped that because Misty has shown signs of sensitivity in the past. I also passed on tomato sauce, since there seems to be mixed reports on the safety of tomatoes for dogs. I think the fruit of ripe tomato given in small quantity is generally okay, but we have never tried giving our dogs any in the past, and I did not want to start experimenting now. So, to substitute for the reddish coloring of the tomatoes, I used beets and a little red bell pepper instead, which are very healthy for dogs. You just have to be a little careful though, since too much beet can cause diarrhea. Also, it can turn the color of the urine pinkish, so don't be alarmed!

Our dogs love cheese, but we have learned in the past that too much of it isn't so good on their digestive system, so I drastically reduced the amount in the recipe and instead filled it with cauliflower, another healthy choice for dogs. Finally, for the toppings, I used lean ground beef and some spinach for added color.

This was really simple to make and the beauty of it is that you can add pretty much any topping that you can think of and cater to your own dog's likes and diet restrictions. We served our dogs a slice each on Misty's birthday and then saved the rest in fridge and they had it as a small snack for the next few days.

gather all your healthy ingredients

use finely diced cauliflower as your 'cheese'

mashed beet for tomato sauce substitute

add your dog's favorite protein as topping

use organic flour for the crust

roll out your dough and bake in a pie pan

add your toppings and finish baking in oven

voilà, it's ready!

a very satisfied customer!😋


Crust:

  • 3 cups of organic flour of your choice (coconut, oat, brown rice)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
Toppings:

  • finely diced cauliflower
  • mozzarella cheese (adjust amount to your dog's sensitivity)
  • 2 small beets
  • quarter of red bell pepper
  • spinach
  • cooked lean ground beef
Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Bring a small pot of water to boil and add beets. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and pulse in food processor along with red bell pepper or use a potato masher. Set aside in a bowl
  3. Cook ground beef and set aside
  4. Grease deep dish pie pan with coconut oil
  5. In a large bowl, mix flour, water and baking powder
  6. Knead the dough into a ball and roll out to 3/4 inch thickness
  7. Spread the crust mixture into the pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes
  8. Remove from oven and add desired toppings
  9. Place back into oven for additional 15 minutes
  10. Take out of the oven and cool completely before serving


Comments