some sun, some fog, and endless ocean

Today, I want to write about our recent trip down to the Oregon coast...well, if you count almost a month ago as recent. Ok, I admit it...I'm really not very good at this blogging thing. I told M this morning that blogging reminds me of my past childhood memories of having to keep a journal over the summer break, to be turned in when we went back to school in the fall. I would be too lazy to keep it daily and would try to remember and write couple months worth of entries at the very last minute...not very smart. Back then, I think I had this false confidence in my memory, which I now know is the one thing I can't trust. I think that's why I take as many photos as I do now...to help me archive and remember every moment. With that said, I shall try to be more on top of blogging. Gotta write things down before they fade from my memory!

Here are some of the highlights of our trip:
  1. Planning a spring beach trip in PNW is a huge gamble as far as the weather is concerned. We expected and prepared for the cold rainy weather, but ended up with unseasonably warm weather the first couple of days, followed by foggy and cool couple of days. Can't really complain!
  2. Getting to our destination was a huge nightmare. Two hours into our drive, we encountered a road closure due to an accident and we had no choice but to back track almost an hour to get on an alternate route.  At the end, what should've been a 3 1/2 hour drive turned into almost 7 hours. We were exhausted (dogs did great!), but when we saw the news about the accident later that evening and found out that it happened only 30 minutes before us and that one person died in the crash was quite sobering...😨
  3. Oregon coast never disappoints us and this time was no exception. It was beautiful and the best part of it was just how deserted it was. Most of the time, it felt like we were on our very own private beach!

  4. doesn't get much better than this

  5. This trip was all about Misty. We planned and catered to her needs. We took both her wheelchair and the stroller to be prepared for anything. They took up quite a bit of space in the car, but it was totally worth it!
  6. On second day, all of us got totally wet from an unsuspected incoming wave, but Misty got the worst of it because she lost her footing. I rushed into the ankle deep water (cold!) to help while precariously balancing my camera in one hand and holding onto the stroller with the other.  Jasper was clipped to the stroller, so he couldn't escape and was flopping around like fish out of water. What a fiasco! We were laughing so hard and thought how hilarious the whole scene must've looked to any onlookers. Fortunately for us, there was not a soul around when it happened.
  7. Thanks to that wipeout, Misty collected sand and marine debris all over her belly and tail which turned into a huge balls of tangle that was impossible to brush out. By the end of the day, with temperature soaring into the mid 80's, Misty started to reek, resembling something like seaweed and public bathroom, prompting an emergency bath.🤢
  8. There were two sea lions swimming near the jetty. We saw them twice, but of course I didn't have the right lens on my camera each time.

  9. wished I had a longer lens on me...but there it is!

  10. Misty loved lounging on the deck overlooking the dunes and the ocean. She was so comfortable and took long and peaceful naps out there.

  11. lounging on the deck while listening to the sound of the waves

  12. A trip to the coast would be incomplete without enjoying some seafood, and boy, we were not disappointed! I never thought I'd feel full eating crabs, but these were so meaty! 

  13. so good!
    we met this gentle teddy bear at the fishery...that face!😍

  14. On an early morning one day, we had the back door open while enjoying our coffee and this little bird flew in, causing a bit of a panic. In a frenzy to escape, she flew pretty hard into one of the closed windows and then perched itself on top of the kitchen shelf, probably in a daze. Thankfully, she let me cradle her in a towel and I was able to set her free outside.

  15. she sat in my hands for awhile before flying off

  16. Jasper got some free time out on the beach, and he was beyond happy. The joy he felt was obvious, which made us feel that much more guilty about city life. We used a 50 ft. leash to let him have a free roam, but he never strayed too far, which impressed the heck out of us. Feeling very brave, we took him off the leash all together a few times, and he was perfect.

  17. Jasper loved the freedom of a 50 ft. leash...
    ...but, no leash is even better!

  18. Misty's preferred mode of transportation was her stroller. She enjoyed miles of the beach VIP style, while we were getting some serious workouts pushing her through the sand, especially the soft dunes. She did have one poop accident while in the stroller on our last day, prompting another emergency bath. 😩

  19. Misty enjoyed having some roaming time on her wheelchair...
    ...but, she really loved just riding in her stroller the most.

Whew! That was quite a bit for one journal entry! This trip was...extra special for us. We don't know how many more of these vacations we'll be allowed with Misty, so we tried to enjoy it to the fullest, like it may be our last. Definitely...bittersweet, but we'll have these memories and photos to treasure forever...❤️

Comments